twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken Smothered in Onions

Awhile back, I found a recipe for Chicken Smothered in Onions from Good (&Cheap) Eats. If you have a few minutes, go over and check out her blog. She has amazing ideas and recipes!

I decided to make it about a week ago and the end result was awesome! Robert isn't a HUGE fan of onions; they are starting to grow on me the more and more I cook. I think this would also be yummy if I added a small can of mushrooms. Next time I cook this (which will be soon, no doubt) I will add that. I cut the number of onions. If you want to see the original recipe, click here.

Chicken Smothered in Onions
Ingredients needed:
4 (I used less) chicken breasts
paprika
salt and pepper
1 onion
2 1/2 tbsp butter
small can of mushrooms (8.5oz)
2 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp water
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg

On your chicken breasts, sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter in the skillet and brown both sides on your chicken breasts. Put on a plate after they are browned. Chop up your onions however you want - larger pieces are better for this, not small diced pieces. Put 1 tbsp butter in skillet and saute your onions until they are tender. At this time, I would add in the can of mushrooms. Once they are tender, add your chicken in again. Add 2 cups of chicken broth, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Transfer your chicken to a plate and cover. Combine 3tbsp flour and 3 tbsp water in a bowl and stir until it is smooth and mix completely. Add this to the onions/broth and mix. Add 1/4 cup of whipping cream and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Boil until thickened. Once it thickens, return the chicken to reheat.

This is delicious! Plus, I love any meal that I can use ONE skillet or pan to cook in. I LOVE my electric skillet and I can cook this entire dish in my skillet. This means less clean up in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment